All of iStumbler's major functionality is implemented in separate plugin modules. Each plugin has a main view, which is shown in the iStumbler window while the plugin is selected, a preferences view for configuring the plugin and an inspector panel to show detail on a selected item.
- AirPort plugin displays signal strength and debugging information for visible AirPort networks.
- Bluetooth plugin displays information for bluetooth devices in use on the system.
- Log plugin tracks events in iStumbler and can optionally write a log to disk for later review.
- Bonjour plugin allows you to browse mDNS (or Bonjour) services and hosts on your local network.
To install plugins in iStumbler simply drag them into the plugin list from the Finder.
iStumbler supports several general preferences which plugins respect, these include options for overall memory and processor usage as well as support for a consistent and easy to read user interface.
- Remember: instructs plugins how long to retain sample data from their scans. By default this is set to 10 minutes which keeps performance and memory usage low. Higher settings are useful for extended site surveys, and shorter settings are used mostly for debugging purposes.
- Scan Frequency: instructs plugins how often to scan for changes and update their sample data.
- Text Size: sets the text size for the entire application.
- Toolbar Style: sets the toolbar style for all plugins.